Sunday, October 4, 2009

JAM

I have such an awesome mom.  One thing she does that I love, is she is a very passionate person. Every once and a while she gets really "into something".  Those things which she can "get into" can be anything from painting, scrapbooking, cooking, shopping, church callings, books, people.  When she gets "into something" she goes all out and is really busy doing that thing for days and days, all day long. 

When thinking back, almost all the projects I can remember my mom "getting into", it has almost always been for the benefit of some one else.  My mom is such and wonderful example to me of selflessness.

Luckily for me she was "into" jam this month.  She started with peach jam.  She ordered a box of fresh Utah peaches and decided to make peach jam.  We enjoyed one of those jars, and it did not last long in this house, cause it was soo yummy.  

Then my mom decided it was about time she taught her daughters how to jar jam.  So she took time to go to each of her daughters homes, to show us how it's done. 
She ordered a couple more boxes of peaches and some fresh raspberries.
We made raspberry/peach jam.  Holy Yummy!!!

Here's the box of the most delicious peaches.
The raspberries
The cut up, juicy peaches.
Cooking the peaches, raspberries and sugar. Lots of sugar.
Here's the finished product.  We love it on my fresh made bread. 
 Soooo good.

Here's the recipe:

Raspberry Peach Jam 

10 cups sugar (5 lbs. bag of sugar less 1 cup)

7 cups peaches (cut up in small pieces)

2 pints frozen raspberries = 4 cups

2 pkg raspberry jello (small)

2 TBSP fresh lemon juice

 

Cook sugar, peaches and raspberries.  Bring to a rolling boil and stir constantly to avoid scorching.  Skim out top while it is boiling.  Cook 10 – 12 minutes.

Remove from stove and add jello and lemon juice.  Stir well.  Pour into hot jars.

Use a knife around edge of jar to release any air.

Wipe top of jars to clean and then boil lids to seal.  Screw down lid tight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where's my jar?? C'mon, I thought we were friends, better yet SIL's!

Kelli Brown said...

I want one too!