Saturday, April 18, 2009

I'M TIRED

Yesterday was a crazy, busy, tiring day.  I helped with Avery's school carnival.
Rewind just a little to the beginning of the school year...  I thought I would join Avery's PTO, so I could help the school get defibrillator.  (It is a machine that shocks the heart if it stops, which she and Lainey might need, but hopefully not need, since they both have my heart condition. I've blogged about it before.)  Back to the story... So at the first PTO meeting of the year, they needed some volunteers to be on the board, like VP, secretary, treasurer and so on.  I kept my mouth shut, cause I didn't want any of those jobs. At the end of the meeting, I raised my hand and opened my big mouth and said, "are there every refreshments at these meetings?" At which point the principal of the school said, "no, that's the Hospitality person, and that's you". And wrote my name down. So, I was put on the board as the hospitality person.  I thought, OK, I can bring cookies to the meetings, no problem.  And I learned to not open my big mouth anymore, even if it is for treats.
Little did I know then that the schools big fundraiser is basically run and planned by the PTO Board.  
By now in the school year, the secretary has quit, the treasurer never comes and so it is just the awesome, hardworking president, VP and the lady in charge of handouts (another random board member) and me.  
For the carnival, I was assigned of being in charge of all the rides.  A company brought 7 giant bouncy things. I had to make signs of the rules for each ride, make sure all the parent and HS student volunteers knew where to go, and most importantly, make sure I had enough volunteers all night long.  I walked and walked, probably I will estimate about 15 miles last night.
The carnival lasted 4 hours, I was there 2 hours early and left a half hour after it was over. I am very sore today, but it was all worth it to see all the kids having an absolute blast.  And hopefully the school earned tons of $ for the PTO.  The PTO is planning on buying more of those "Smart Boards" for the school.  They are super cool. So hopefully we will be able to get those. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are such a hard worker. I am glad it paid off. Now take a rest!!

meghannamarie said...

You are better than I am Jessie, I just know I would be the loser who would quit in the middle of the year. I like me life as simple as it can get!