Saturday, April 4, 2009

GIRLS CAMP FUNDRAISER

So for the last few weeks, my life has been consumed with planning for our girls camp fundraiser.  I am the girls camp director this year.  My first time, I might add.  So I am learning while doing.  For our fundraiser, we had a silent auction/movie night under the stars.  We only had one night that would work on the calendar, and the building was taken, so we had to have it outside. It was not our first plan to do it outside.  But we had to go with it.  

I got tons of donations from people from the ward for the silent auction. I had to make all the bidding sheets, the certificates for services donated,  and tags for the all the other items.  We had over 50 things up for auction.

We had to follow the copyright laws, so we couldn't show just any movie.  That was kind of a big headache, figuring out what to show.  Did you know you can't show any movie to an audience ever, unless you pay a ton, or get permission from the publisher.  It is against the copyright laws and you can get in big trouble.  We couldn't even show a lot of the church films either.  Anyways we ended up showing "Feed My Lambs", "The Restoration" and another short film our Mutual age kids made last year.  People loved being able to sit outside and watch the shows, especially the kids. They had a blast.  We also had popcorn donated by the movie theater up the street and had cookies, water, and juice for sale.

So about 2:oo yesterday, the winds started.  And I was thinking, why, oh why does it have to be windy today.  Luckily I bought a lot of tape.  We tapped and we tapped.  We had to tape everything down.  We showed the movie down in a grassy area next to our church, and it is luckily down a ways, like 4 - 5 ft. So it wasn't as windy down there.  But then it got cold.  I was wearing shorts.  I'm dumb. Oh well.  

It started at 7:00 and was over at 8:30.  People finished cleaning up and paying by 9:00.  And we made over a thousand dollars.  So it was a big success.  I emailed the YW president the total we earned, and asked her what are we going to do with all this, and she jokingly said, "take limos to camp".

I was so busy, I forgot to take pictures :(  But just imagine me running around with my hair blowing, red eyes from contacts in the wind, freezing cold, tapping everything in sight so it wouldn't blow away.
I'm glad it's over.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry it was freezing...but I am glad it went well and you guys got a lot of money! You'll be happy when it's all over, I'm sure.